Monday, February 2, 2009

Anya Hindmarch for Target

I love Anya Hindmarch and have been searching for a bag from her for months. I almost bought a white hobo bag (reminiscent of the indescribably gorgeous Gucci Indy bag) and in my search for her Summer line, I came across "Anya Hindmarch for Target" What what??

It turns out she has designed a few handbags for giant (lower-end but lovable) US retail store, Target. After looking into it, I found out Target has a little-known "label" called GO International. Ladies who love designer names are probably familiar with the line. Every season they have a few pieces by high-end designers at Target prices. An AH bag usually costs about $395; at Target one of her bags is selling for $49.99. Fundamental difference: Anya Hindmarch bags have "Anya Hindmarch" stamped in the buckle or front design; on the Target bags, "AH for Target" or "Anya Hindmarch for Target" is stamped.

I was awestruck, but obviously skeptical. The bags follow Anya Hindmarch's design ideas, but use lower quality materials. I will go check them out in-store but am not getting my hopes up. After all, the best parts about designer bags are the thick, soft leather and the solid detailed trinkets.

BUT the deflated economy will probably see a lot of people joining me in the line at Target for lower-end high-end items. GO International, started in 2007, is probably just realizing the potential of their label.

0 comments: